July 2, 2011
Legal Metrology means that part of metrology which treats units of weighment and measurement, methods of weighment and measurement and weighing and measuring instruments, in relation to the mandatory technical and legal requirements which have the object of ensuring public guarantee from the point of view of security and accuracy of the weighments and measurements. The Central Government has appointed 1st April, 2011 as the date from which the Legal Metrology Act, 2009 and all the Rules made there under, will come into effect. Gazette Notifications in this respect have been published. The Central Government has also notified the following Rules made under the Act.
- The Legal Metrology (National Standards) Rules,2011
- The Legal Metrology (Numeration) Rules, 2011
- The Legal Metrology (Approval of Models) Rules, 2011
- The Indian Institute of Legal Metrology Rules, 2011
- The Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rules, 2011
- The Legal Metrology (General) Rules, 2011